You planted, cared for and loved your tomatoes with hopes of a hearty harvest of juicy sweet tomatoes. You dreamed of thick slices of tomatoes a top a delicious garden fresh tomato sandwich to only find this....
The leaves of your tomato plants are turning yellow curling up and dying. What happened? What did you do wrong. Nothing really. Your tomatoes have blight. What is blight and how on earth did my tomato plants get it?!?
Blight is a fungus. It's pretty easy to get rid of but it's also pretty easy to spread. As soon as you see this yellowing and curling of the leaves follow these simple steps to cure your tomato plants of fungal blight.
- When working with your plant with blight DO NOT touch any other plants before washing your hands
- Cut (do not break) off all the dead and yellow leaves and tomatoes. These are the parts with blight. Not to worry if you are down to just a few leaves. At this point most of the plant's energy is going to growing your tasty tomatoes.
- Throw away the contaminated parts in the trash or burn them. DO NOT put them in the compost pile.
- Wash your hands and tools.
- Make our Sweet and Simple Anti-fungal plant spray and spray all the leaves and plant down to the soil.
- To prevent more blight make sure your plants are not over crowded. Fungus likes dark and moist.
- Water from the bottom of the plant such as a drip line hose.
- Tomato plants like the soil to dry out a bit. DO NOT over water.
Crisis diverted. Enjoy all those tasty Home Grown Tomatoes!
Sweet and Simple Anti-Fungal Plant Spray
- quart glass canning jar
- all purpose spray bottle
- 1 quart pure water
- 1/2 teaspoon natural dish soap
- 1/2 teaspoon Spark Naturals pure essential Melaleuca oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Spark Naturals pure essential Lemon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Add all ingredients to quart canning jar. Add lid then shake vigorously to mix oils soap and water together. Pour into an all purpose spray bottle. Mist garden plats effected by fungus such a blight and dusty mildew to kill fungus. Use as needed as soon as possible to prevent the death by fungus.
Having this all natural chemical free fungicide on hand is a must for the home gardener.
Store in a cool dark place until needed again.
Sweet and Simple Tip: I recommend purchasing the Spark Naturals Essential 4 Pack for a great discount as well as having the 4 basic oils we always use on hand. Use our coupon code SweetandSimple for an added 10% discount!
Note: Sweet and Simple uses Spark Naturals pure essential oils because of the trusted quality and purity of the oils. Spark Naturals is a Sweet and Simple affiliate.